When the weather begins to cool, the leaves fall from the trees, and everything is pumpkin flavored, that is the perfect time to make this pumpkin pecan waffle recipe! Full of pumpkin spice flavor, this recipe for pumpkin pecan waffles is the only one you will want to make, again and again.
Let me start by describing how great these waffle really are just to get you a little excited. If you like pumpkin pie and the flavor of pecans, and you really love waffles, well this is like a combination of all of those things. Just imagine the spicy flavors of pumpkin pie full of toasty pecans all wrapped up in a warm waffle covered in maple syrup. If you are drooling over this thought, then this recipe for pumpkin pecan waffles is for you!
This whole recipe revolves around the pumpkin and the spices that make pumpkin so delicious. While I use canned pumpkin in this recipe to make it super fast and easy, feel free to roast your ownpumpkin. Get a small sugar pumpkin, slice it in half and remove the seeds. Roast the pumpkin on a sheet tray in a 400 ̊F oven for about an hour or until the pumpkin is soft. Scoop the roasted flesh of the pumpkin into a blender and puree- ta da! Your own homemade pumpkin puree- so fancy!
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice are what really make pumpkin taste delicious. These four little spices are the hidden workers behind anything that is pumpkin flavor- they are what is really making recipes taste so delicious! While I use each spice individually in this recipe, you can also simply use 2 teaspoons of ‘pumpkin pie spice’ which you can buy in almost any store (Simply Organic makes a great pumpkin pie spice too!) . Either way, don’t skip on the spice!
While my standard recipe just uses all purpose flour, substitute whole wheat flour for some great whole wheat pumpkin pecan waffles. Want to try a gluten free recipe? Try using a gluten free flour substitute such as Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour instead of the regular flour. Weather you choose to make my regular pumpkin pecan waffle recipe, whole wheat pumpkin pecan waffles, or gluten free pumpkin pecan waffles, they are going to be amazing! Just substitute the flour as needed.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, egg yolks and milk. Whisk until nice and smooth.
3. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and vanilla extract to the bowl with the pumpkin puree and whisk again.
4. Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and whisk to make a nice smooth batter.
5. Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin batter. Try not to stir too much, just gently incorporate the egg whites into the batter making it nice and fluffy.
6. Last, add 1/2 cup of the toasted chopped pecans to the mix and stir.
7. Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions (or check out our blog about how to use a waffle maker!).
8. Once the waffle iron is hot, pour the batter into the waffle maker and close. Cook like a normal waffle (time may depend on your machine).
9. Serve the waffles while hot with syrup, butter, whipped cream and the extra toasted pecans- yum!
While this pumpkin pecan waffle recipe truly dazzles in the fall, it is great just about any time of the year. Give the whole wheat pumpkin pecan waffles a try, take out the pecans for a regular pumpkin spice waffle or maybe switch it up and add walnuts instead of pecans. There are many ways to keep this recipe fresh but sticking with the classic pumpkin pecan waffle is always sure to be a winner.
If you are now dying to make these waffles but are still on the hunt for your perfect waffle maker, check out our Ultimate Buying Guide for the best waffle makers of the year. A great waffle maker is a great investment, especially now that you have this recipe that you absolutely must try!
I have a bachelor's degree for the Culinary Institute of America in Baking and Pastry Arts and over 16 years of food service experience. I also owned and operated a bakery cafe for several years. I have a two year old daughter who helps me write food blogs and articles as my official taste tester!